- Pet first aid
- Thinking of a new pet?
- Arthritis and Degenerative Joint Disease
- Cat fights
- Dental care
- Ear infections
- Heat stress
- The itchy pet
- lost pets
- Pet Insurance
- Pet pop-offs!
- Winter pet care
- Helping a baby possum
- Chocolate toxicity
- Heartworm Disease
- Atopic dermatitis or atopy
- Indoor vs Outdoor Cats - The Great Debate
- Canine Cough
- 10 Common Plants that are Toxic to Dogs & Cats
- Breed DNA Testing
- How to keep your indoor cat happy and healthy
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Guinea Pig Teeth
- Bat Lyssavirus
- Why is my vet so busy?
- It's Not Long Until The Easter Bunny Arrives!
- The Hidden Danger: Why Throwing Sticks Can Harm Your Beloved Dog
Whilst Easter eggs are a tasty treat for us, they are highly toxic to our furry companions!
Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. Unlike humans, our pets are unable to metabolise this ingredient, causing it to reach toxic levels in their body!
The toxicity of this substance is dose dependant and while the affect differs according to the type of chocolate (dark chocolate being the most detrimental!), all forms are dangerous.
As an owner, it is important to keep your pets away from your Easter Egg stash! If your pet manages to find your Easter goodies, immediately seek veterinary assistance from us!
Signs to look for if you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate:
What to do if you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate:
- Call our clinic immediately
- Keep the chocolate packet and a record of approximately how much chocolate was eaten
What happens at the vet:
- The only way to make our furry friend’s feel better is to bring out what went in! Our Vets will induce vomiting to ensure that all of the harmful goodies are removed.
- They may need to spend some time in our care. We will monitor them closely and administer any medication or fluids to assist in their quick recovery.
Posted in: Pet Health at 13 April 22