- Pet first aid
- Thinking of a new pet?
- Arthritis and Degenerative Joint Disease
- Cat fights
- Dental care
- Ear infections
- Heat stress
- The itchy pet
- lost pets
- Pet Insurance
- Pet pop-offs!
- Winter pet care
- Helping a baby possum
- Chocolate toxicity
- Heartworm Disease
- Atopic dermatitis or atopy
- Indoor vs Outdoor Cats - The Great Debate
- Canine Cough
- 10 Common Plants that are Toxic to Dogs & Cats
- Breed DNA Testing
- How to keep your indoor cat happy and healthy
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Guinea Pig Teeth
- Bat Lyssavirus
- Why is my vet so busy?
- It's Not Long Until The Easter Bunny Arrives!
- The Hidden Danger: Why Throwing Sticks Can Harm Your Beloved Dog
1. Lilies (including Peace Lily, Tiger Lily, Calalily)
Lillies are highly toxic and can cause kidney failure leading to death particularly in cats. Be careful of bouquets of flowers always check there are no species of lilies before displaying them in your home. Signs of lily intoxication include vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of appetite and lethargy.
2. Sago Palms or Cycads
Sago Palms or Cycads are highly toxic to dogs and can be fatal if any part of the palm is consumed. It is best to remove these plants from any part of the yard that is accessible to your pet. Signs to look for include vomiting, diarrhoea and loss of appetite.
3. Macadamia nuts
Macademia Nuts are not only toxic to dogs but the nuts themselves can become stuck in your pets mouth or obstruct their gastrointestinal system if they swallow the nut whole. Signs of macadamia nut toxicity include weakness, vomiting, depression, fever and twitching.
4. Ivy (English ivy, Golden Pothos)
Ivy is moderately toxic to pets. Ingestion of this plant can lead to irritation of the mouth and stomach, drooling, swelling of the tongue and lips, vomiting and diarrhoea.
A common weed and houseplant is extremely toxic to pets. Signs of lantana toxicity include vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, lethargy, paralysis or a swollen abdomen.
6. Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow/Brunfelsia/Lady of the Night/Noon and Night
This plant is highly toxic to cats and dogs causing vomiting, difficulty walking/wobbliness, tremors and seizures.
Oleander is highly toxic to cats and dogs causing an abnormal heart rate or cardiac arrhythmias, collapse, tremors, drooling, vomiting, seizures or even death.
8. Aloe Vera
While this plant is known for its healing properties in humans, in dogs and cats it is moderately toxic. It can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, depression, loss of appetite and change in urine colour.
9. Wild mushroooms.
it is very difficult to identify mushrooms while some varieties are safe to eat others are highly toxic and can cause death. It is important to remove any mushrooms that pop up in your lawn before your dog or cat finds them.
10. Tulips & Hyacinths.
A popular flower in bouquets are moderately toxic to cats and dogs causing drooling, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, difficulty breathing and increased breathing rate.
What to do if your pet eats one of these?
If you spot your dog or cat eating any plant or flower it is important to contact your local vet, most plants have a level of toxicity to animals and some are much more dangerous then others. If you are concerned take a photo or a sample of the plant with you to your vet to be identified.
Posted in: Pet Health at 24 July 19